Friday, November 28, 2008

California.

I went to California. Now as many of you know, So Cal has long been one of my great loves. As long as I can remember I have wanted to live there. I have longed for the beach and wished for sunny weather. I have envied there great shopping and fabulous nightlife. Well I'm a little sad to say that this trip made me realize that maybe LA just isn't my scene. Its a little sad when you realize that something you've all ways wanted may not be right. I would almost liken it to breaking up with a boyfriend or something.

We arrived at LAX Thurs night around 8:00. First things first we went to Newport Beach. It was such a thrill to run up and put my feet in the ocean. Shockley it wasn't cold at all. Whitney, Hiba, and I spent a good hour or so running up and down the beach and playing in the sand. I even called my mom and dad so they cold hear the ocean. After that we went to dinner at it was so good to see Whit again. Two summers ago we were together every day. Seriously EVERYDAY. I have missed her so much.

Friday morning we woke up to the news that Whit's roommate had taken the car and we wouldn't be leaving the house till 1:00. Now I realize this probably shouldn't be a big deal, but it has been beaten into since I was a small child, that when on vacation you wake up and get the most of it. Trying to have a positive attitude I asked if there was somewhere nearby we could get a breakfast snack. "Not within walking distance" Hiba and I choose not to believe this because well, No one in LA walks anywhere. So we ventured out. A 10 min walk away we found a Starbucks and a Smoothie shop.

That afternoon we wend into Hollywood and onto Robertson Boulevard. Every since I began reading US Weekly I have wanted to go to Robertson Blvd. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is the celeb place to be. Many a paparazzi shot has been taken here. Being in this area filled my heart with great joy.( I took many a picture at places featured on the Hills. I'll post about that later) I even bought an over priced scarf at Kitson. As the day went on we wandered about looking for food. We stumbled upon Urth cafe. Urth Cafe! That's where the Olsens eat! I whispered excitedly. We decided to eat there. Well about two minutes after sitting down who should show up by Bai Ling. I knew it was her because I've seen her at Sundance like 30 times. Then TR Knight and his 18 year old boy toy showed up. I knew it was TR Knight because I've seen him on TV like 30 times.

Friday evening we went to Hollywood and Highland. And for the first time ever I went into H&M. I have wanted to go to H&M for like 10 years. My thoughts on H&M? Pretty much crap. Cheap crap. Like forever 21 style, but more pricey. What the hell. I wished I was at American Eagle. I love American Eagle. There was one there, but I talked myself down because we have one in SLC. I didn't even buy anything at Sephora because we are getting one here. After Whit stated she hated Hollywood like 30 times we decided we better peace out. So we headed up to Laguna Beach. As lovely as it was in the dark, nowhere was open to eat. Something you are probably not aware of, that I learned this week, is that almost restaurants in LA and its surrounding areas close by 11:00. Just like Utah. Or they turn into bars and don't have food. So where did I eat Friday night? In & Out Burger.

Saturday started with a very quick trip to the mall. VERY QUICK. I ended up with an Obama shirt and a $50 pair of flip flops. Don't make me justify it I love them. And I saw Ashley Tidsdall wearing them in US Weekly once. We then headed to the Home Depot center to watch Dunny's Hollywood United Soccer Game. With "celebs" mind you, I use that word very loosely. But the hot naked dude who lives next to Samantha in the Sex and the City movie was there, so that was all sorts of exciting.

After the game we went to the after party in the Home Depot center. It was great seeing Dunny, Jade, David and Dante, but it was beyond pathetic to sit and stare at The Home Depot field and know RSL would not be playing on it the next day.

That night we went to dinner then to Area night club. The place we ate was on Sunset was definitely not my scene. It looked was just like The Pie but they played Marlyn Manson and Metellca so loud you can't hear your own thoughts. PAINFUL. Area was a whole different disaster. Whit described the scene at Area the best.
"Its like that club jumped the shark and sold out to the Asians." Enough said. Brent Bolthouse will be receiving a strongly worded letter.

We spent Sunday at Universal Studios. The shark almost got Hiba. She was very scared. We bought the fast pass and got to go to the front of the line. It was the best. We went on the mummy ride 4 times. My one question is, why does ever ride/event thing you go on at Universal Studios have to throw water on you? That evening we saw Spring Awakening. It was amazing. SO good. Its in my top ten for sure. And that's when I got sick. Saturday night my throat was killing me. i got not udder a word without extreme pain. We went home and the moment my head hit the pillow I was asleep.

Monday we woke up with no way to get to the airport. Whit had class. My mom suggested we go to Newport catch a bus to Anaheim then from there catch a bus to LAX. Easier said then done. Thank goodness two kind strangers helped out and got us to the Disneyland Hotel safely and from there we caught a shuttle for $20. Then at last we were home.

I missed the mountains. I missed getting from one place to another without having to take a freeway. I missed easy parking, knowing the restaurants and how late they are open, and my hair not falling apart because of humidity. I even missed running into someone I know everywhere I went. I missed just walking into clubs and not paying a cover. All in all, I think I just missed Utah. We I was younger I was so eager to leave. But the longer I am here the more I appreciate what Utah has to offer. And right now, there is no place I'd rather be.

3 comments:

doug said...

It's true. Utah is pretty much the best. Also, come visit me in D.C. It's a lot easier to get around, a lot less pretty-people-pretentious, a lot more restaurant variety (and open a lot later). It's also humid, though...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that your trip wasn't what you expected it to be. I'm with Doug... east coast is much more fun! haha But there are definitely nice things about being in Utah. Sometimes you have to leave it to appreciate it.

Brian said...

You know where restaurants are open 24 hours? New York motherfuckin' City. How else do you think I've been able to gain so much weight?!

Sorry LA wasn't all you'd hoped for. That being said, this is one of my favorite blog posts of yours ever. Very poignant stuff.

And I miss Utah too.