Monday, October 04, 2010

Love One Another

As I'm sure you all know, I am not a person that keeps their mouth shut when they have an opinion. Last night I did not sleep well. I cherish my friendships so much. They mean the world to me. I love all my friends. I love them tall, short, loud, quiet, blond, brunette, red, purple, green, Mormon, not Mormon, gay, straight, whatever. I love you all. So I'm sorry if what I'm about to say offends anyone.



After hearing parts from Boyd K Packer's speech, then reading the SL Trib article about it, I felt many things. Angry, sad, worried, and mortified just to name a few. But most of all, disappointed. I felt disappointed that a major church who so many people listen to, felt this was what they needed to speak to their followers about. Disappointed that with all the suicides happening with gay teens in the media lately, Mr Packer would say the things he said. Disappointed that I know many young gay Mormon teens sitting in their living rooms across the world would feel even more alone and scared then they all ready do. Disappointed that I used to be a part of this religon.



As I'm sure you all know, I am not a fan of organized religion. No matter what it may be. I feel religion should be about love. and taking care of each other. I feel every religion has lost that in order to get more members and more money.



I strongly believe that everyone deserved to love and be loved. NO MATTER WHAT.



Whats ironic is the 2 seconds of LDS Conference I did catch was the choir singing "Love One Another" I stopped for a second and listened. Growing up when I did go to church I always loved this song. Whats the point of singing that song if the basic theme of one of the talks was going to turn around and say such hurtful things?


I started to think about how my life would be without some of the AMAZING gay friends I have. My world would be a lonely sad place. I am thankful everyday for their friendships. When I think about these poor kids that have chosen to take their life I feel heartbroken. The last thing they need is someone telling them to change or that something is wrong with them.


Mayra is currently obsessed with that Bruno Mars song "Just The Way You Are" Whenever it comes on in the car I am told to shhhhh. So she can turn up and hear her favorite part:
"Oh, you know, you know, you know, I'd never ask you to change If perfects what you're searching for then just stay the same" Sometimes this drives me crazy, but over the past 24 hours this part of the song has been playing on repeat in my head.


I hope all my friends out their know that. I'd never ask YOU to change. Not for any reason at any time. Love whoever makes you happy.
I love you all. Love each other.






"As I have loved you, love one another.
This new commandment, love one another.
By this shall men know ye are my disciples
If ye have love one to another. "

1 comment:

Ramsey said...

I commented on Brians post as well but I wanted to say that the church and I will never see eye to eye on this. It pains me to see people feel judged. I love everyone!